Friday, November 30, 2007

CAKE!!

Don't you hate it when you try a new recipe and it totally BOMBS? It happened to me twice this week. Twice. *insert very dramatic sigh here*

Monday: I made Molasses Sandwich Cookies. The filling was grainy and the cookies were nasty. I chucked 'em.

Wednesday: I made Turtle Pumpkin Pie. It was a no-bake recipe but had to be refrigerated for "one hour". Yeah. The next morning, the thing was still total soup. I chucked it.

But I was NOT to be defeated. This girl does not make two failed recipes only to quit in utter disillusionment. Nay, she saw it as a delicious challenge and would be appeased only by a culinary victory.

Thursday Afternoon: Grocery store baking aisle.... I zipped through the store and picked up semi-sweet baking chocolate and peppermint extract, as well as buttermilk, heavy cream, unsalted butter and peppermint candies.

I was going to bake a Chocolate Peppermint Cake and, so help me, it was GOING to be heaven on a platter.

Friday Morning: The kitchen is prepped and the ingredients are measured out. The chocolate and butter are melted in a heat-safe bowl over a pan of hot water. This looks good. The chocolate is melting beautifully and it looks like dark brown silk.

The other ingredients are added and I whisk while in a state of confectionery bliss.
The batter is poured into the pan and I have all I can do not to dive head-first into it and slurp down every last scrumptious-smelling drop.


Fifty minutes later, my house smells like chocolate euphoria and I take the cake out of the oven. It cools in the pan for five minutes and then I turn the pan upside down on the cooling rack in the hopes of the cake being released in one piece. Oh my gosh, look at that - it worked!! God bless parchment paper.

I take in a huge whiff of the warm deliciousness and then make the icing and spread it on the cake.


Wow. This looks amazing. It's definitely time to sample a piece!


Hey, it looks just like the picture in the cookbook - only better, because they used chocolate shavings to garnish the whipped cream and I used crushed peppermint candies!

I take a forkful. SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!! .....Not one to be too self-indulgent, I share my piece of cake with my girl. I suppose this picture speaks for itself.


I decide that if I keep this cake in the house, I will devour it within twenty-four hours, so I pack up the cake and the whipped cream and my girl and we head to Daddy's work. His co-workers loved it. One of them even said to him, "Was your wife raised by Betty Crocker or something?" Coooooool!

Oh and hey, I think I thought of a name for my future cafe: "Sweet Lissy B's." You like?

6 comments:

The Vaters said...

Oh my goodness that picture is just TOO CUTE!

You made me drool with your post about the cake!

Teresa said...

I'd love to have the cake recipe!

Tricia said...

Love the pic of Lissy! The cake sounds wonderful!! Good job!

daionara said...

K, feel free to make another one of those. Then you pack it in ice, ship it to me and I'll eat it for you.

Lissy girl is just the sweetest face on the planet.

YES LOVE THE NAME! Sweet Lissy B's!

Anonymous said...

You ask YOU LIKE Well ME LIKES and ME is going to make and bake a Victoria Sandwich Cake and then get some chocolate and and make some butter icing for the middle and then melt the chocolate an drizzle it over the top.
sweet lissy b's,
is the place be,
with cakes galore,
and cup of tea.

Love from Me

Kat said...

Did you use Martha's recipe? I made something similar last Thanksgiving, only I did a couple of layers (and used a regular cake mix instead doing a homemade cake!).

http://katskitchentalk.blogspot.com/2006/11/devils-food-cake-with-mint-chocolate.html