Monday, December 3, 2007

Tarts


So my friend Bekah and I went to a one-time class at Kendall College downtown on Saturday. It was called "Pies and Tarts" and oh my gosh - it was SO much fun!!! The two instructors were great. We made three things:
  • Blueberry Crumble Tarts
  • Apple Galettes
  • Savory Goat Cheese and Onion Tart

We learned that the difference between a pie and a galette is that with galettes, the crust folds over the filling (like the picture above - that's one that we made). I am gonna make more of these because they are easy and so much fun and they turn out so cool-looking. Like a "rustic" pie, the instructor said, We used an egg wash on the crust, then sprinkled them with coarse sugar and brushed on an apricot glaze. Stinkin' COOL!!

Bekah and I had a blast. It was snowing and sleeting our whole way home and it took us FOUR hours to get from Evanston back home (a trip that should take just over an hour). Driving in that was so terrifiying. I think I'm still tense from that trip!

But the class was worth it. And it made me even MORE excited to start the Food Preparation class this January!!!!

.....So we leave for San Diego tomorrow afternoon. I'm not taking my laptop so I probably won't be blogging at all until we get back. No doubt, I will have LOTS of pictures and stories to share from our trip! I am sooo excited. But ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh am I gonna miss my baby girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya when I'm back! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a massage after that trip...hope San Diego was fun! -J

Teresa said...

I hope you're having a good time in San Diego! Those dishes look yummy!