Wednesday, December 12, 2007

SBD


No, I'm not referring to soundless farts.

I started phase one of the South Beach Diet today and I'm less than enthusiastic about it. But I have to do it. Waaaay too much sugar goes into this body and it's gotta stop. My sweet tooth is outta control! Also, if I don't have a turning point now, I'll end up fat and that would suck. I don't ever want to be fat. Far too many health problems go along with it and that is just not happening for me.

Scott's sister and her husband told me about the South Beach Diet on Thanksgiving and they got me curious enough to go buy the book. After reading it, I decided to just do it. So last night we went grocery shopping and spent an outrageous amount of time in the produce section. I felt like a rabbit! I also felt very health-conscious while putting armloads and armloads of vegetables on the checkout counter. Peppers of every color, cabbage, baby spinach, celery, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers......Like I said - RABBIT!

Phase one lasts two weeks and consists of very, very few carbs and zero sugar. By the end of these two weeks my sugar cravings are supposed to be "virtually eradicated." Phase two reintroduces some fruit, nuts, whole grain breads, yogurt and even a little chocolate (THANK YOU, LORD!). In phase three (i.e. lifelong eating) you're kinda on your own and by then you know what to eat and drink and what not to eat and drink. You are also allowed sweets in moderation. That is my ultimate goal. I want to enjoy sweets (especially since I love to taste-test my baked creations) but not in the ridiculous amounts that I usually do. A bite or two here and there will suffice.

I think I can do it.

So you, my loyal blog reader, may look forward to periodic updates on how this SBD thing is going.

I'm hungry.

4 comments:

Kat said...

So, you know what I am doing to satisfy my need to bake? Donating my freshly baked goods to our local fire house. I brought a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies there the other day, and they were gone before I left the place!!! Plus, this may help in my quest to find a husband.

My diet has been relatively successful just by cutting out the crap I eat at lunch, and arranging some of my meals so I am not using butter or cream.

Good luck!

Brenda said...

And yet how incredibly fitting it IS the SBD Diet. I mean... c'mon. It's Wendy.

Light a match...

Seriously, YOU CAN DO IT!

*pompom shakes*

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy, you say you are not referring to soundless farting, if you eat al those vegs/rabbit it food mmmmmmmm...........it may be a case of SBD HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE
Love from Susan.

Tricia said...

Good luck! You'll have to let me know if it works--you know what a junk-food addict I am! Nothing has changed since my college days!;) I don't know about starting such a diet before the holidays though...that seems like it'd be difficult!